Monday, March 26, 2012

Lichens in Hiruela, Madrid

Map of Madrid



Early this month, I went with Ron, Beatriz and Mel to visit a nearby town, north of Madrid,  called Hiruela,   where we saw different kinds of lichens, which are fungi in artforms of nature. The lichens were all over not only on trees but also on the ground. I got some of them attached in small twigs and branches for my decorative purposes.

See samples below.



























This town is a tourist spot with some recommended paths to follow within rows of trees.  The whole town was almost at our own private tour.  We chose a route that indicated walking for three hours, but we did not finish the route as it became complicated for me along the way with difficulty of crossing from one end to the other.  I had to cross a stream to be able to go to the other side.

Another older group that were behind us opted not to cross the stream but I think that the cold water did me well since it removed the tiredness in my legs and feet. It was like a cold massage and I did like it after all although the water was really very cold and I had to be careful less I slip over the pebbles.   Luckily, it was a clear,  sunny day and even if the temperature was cold,  as we walked,  the weather mellowed down.  Here is a glimpse of the town and its river.



2 comments: