Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Pancake Race

And the winner is..........MELISSA!!!!



This is Mel's story on how she won the  pancake race competition in Bournemouth held last February 21.

"I invited my Japanese friend Reina and a Japanese student from EF Language school (it's only her second day in Bournemouth) to come and join me on yesterday's Pancake Race. I've never heard of such an event but apparently it's a common thing to do here in the UK on Pancake Day so I thought about giving it a go...why not?.

We only had to bring our own tossing pans to Bournemouth Pier's restaurant (KEY WEST), the pancakes were provided by the restaurant's chefs, each runner had to run around the pier holding the pan (with the pancake in obviously!) and toss it twice at each "Flip Markers".

The Rules: If a pancake is dropped at any time(I dropped it once!) the runner must pick the pancake up, place it back in the pan (without any assistance from spectators) and continue the race until the finishing line. I was ahead from the very beginning until the end. It was a piece of cake!. Only 10 runners joined though...ha ha!

I won: two fish & chips meals at the Ket West Restaurant, two tickets for any show at Bournemouth's Pier Theatre, 2 weeks free membership at The Club (leisure centre with spa and swimming pool!) and an electric pancake maker!

I also felt so popular amongst all the spectators, all clapping and taking pictures of me. A university student also recorded video of myself and my Japanese friend Reina for her University project.
Representatives from Heart, the local radio station,  also took pictures (see webpage http://www.heart.co.uk/solent/events/going-out/events/pancake-race-bournemouth/)

I was a celebrity for one day!

I made pancakes with my new electric pancake maker last night. I made savoury pancakes filled with Ricotta cheese, spinach and chopped(see photo attached) and for pudding: chocolate and banana! ...Lush!"

That was quite a funny experience for Mel and with hardly any effort from her side, she won the race.  An event to remember for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mel! Next time cook us some crepes, huh?
    Love your new template Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mum for this post. I like the new look of your blog! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mel, we want to taste your crepes! Next picture to be taken would be of you jumping with the pan!

    ReplyDelete