Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Visit to Museums

Last Friday, I went to two museums and I had a great time with the weather being favorable.  First, I went to the Thyssen Museum, Madrid for the temporary exhibit of Antonio Lopez a reknown Spanish artist.


Antonio and his wife, Mari
Source:  No Todo.com

I left Sanfer early to catch my 1pm reservation to see the Antonio Lopez collection, a great artist, at the Thyssen. The museum was replete with people to see the collection of huge paintings mainly of Madrid. He is the same artist with whom I coincided with my exhibit his presentation of the huge sculpture of a woman's bust figure in Coslada next to NH Hotel. I specially enjoyed his sculptures although his paintings are also amazing for the detailed architectural designs of Madrid buildings and streets in particular, which are almost like photographs. It was worth seeing really and in the shop, I saw a lot of people buying his prints and his magnets.

I also took the opportunity to see the paintings in the permanent exhibits and detained more on the impressionist paintings of Monet and Van Gogh although the paintings were not my  favorite ones. But it was a contrast in terms of the visitors because the permanent collection was empty of visitors so it was a quiet viewing pleasure.

                         

Caixa Forum with its vertical garden
Source:  Google

I had lunch in the Thai restaurant near the Caixa Forum and rested before I took off again to see more exhibits this time at the Caixa (a few walks from the Thyssen museum) to see the Mexican exhibits of TEOTIHUACAN, which for 800 yrs (from the 2nd century BC to the 7th AD) was the cultural, political and religious center of a powerful civilization.
Lying 45 kilometres from Mexico City, the city, which rose to become the sixth-largest in the world in its day, is now an archaeological wonder of the world, catalogued as World Heritage by UNESCO.

It was a delight specially when entrances were free for me for both museums. Great cultural  food and entertainment.

I wanted to go to the Prado and the botanical garden too, but they had to wait for another day, since I already was exhausted. It was almost nine pm when I got back home.

1 comment:

  1. I love the vertical garden, one of my favourites places of Madrid and it's free!

    ReplyDelete