Sunday, June 5, 2011

Paella Contest

This year, our town hall sponsored a contest on the best paella. Since it was only a few meters away from where I live, after mass I went to the plaza to take a look. The curious thing? there were only male contestants.  But the truth is, there are not  many women cooks of reknown names compared with men, which is silly because it is mainly women who use the kitchen and not precisely to wash the dishes nor clean the same although oftentimes, they do these chores themselves too. I guess it  is merely due to the fact that most of the women do not cook as a profession but as an obligation, and are unduly recognized. 

Anyway, after the judges have made their selection as to the winners who were awarded with 50€, 75€ and 100€ respectively for the 3rd, 2nd and 1st prizes, the food was served only to members and family of the cooking team, but somehow, my neighbors and me managed to get a plate each. Take a look at some of the resulting paellas.  I did not manage to take pictures of all the 35 participants but it was fun, although what we had eaten was not one of the winners.
  



2 comments:

  1. I wish I would have tried them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...yummy...wish we had it here!!!i could have tried the 8 types of paella just like ron i suppose

    ReplyDelete