Friday, July 8, 2011

Be A Freesia


A king went to his garden and discovered that his trees, bushes and flowers were dying. The Oak told him that it was dying because it could not be as tall as the Pine. Getting back to the Pine, he found it drooping because it could not produce grapes as the grapevine. The Grapevine was dying, because it could not bloom as a Rose. The Rose was crying because it could not be as tall and solid as the Oak. Then he found a plant, a Freesia, in bloom and as fresh as ever.

The king asked:
- How is it that you grow healthily in the midst of this withered and gloomy garden?
- I don't know.  Maybe because I always assumed that when you planted me, you wanted freesias.  If you would have wanted an Oak or a Rose, you would have planted those.  At that moment, I told myself:  "I will try to be a Freesia the best way I can".

Now it is your turn.  You are here to contribute with your fragrance.  Simply look at yourself.  There is no possibility that you can be another person.  You can either enjoy being you and grow watered by your own love for yourself, or wither  condemned by your own sentence...

Source:  Translation from Short Story of Jorge Bucay
Image from:  Google

3 comments:

  1. let's always be a Freesia...contented with what we have because everything comes from God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is specially dedicated to Claire and Chaela, my darling nieces, so pretty and sweet but who I hardly know but can only love from a distance. May you have a happy and brilliant future ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, definitely I cannot be another person but sometimes I would like to be slimmer so I could find clothes of my size easily!!

    ReplyDelete